Did you miss me? It’s been over a year since my last real post, I have allowed negative self-talk, doubt, and even fear to keep me from doing what I truly love. I have wanted to post for a while, in fact, I have written numerous blogs that I have yet to post. Why? Because I told myself no one cares about what you have to say, people only want to read about your natural hair journey. But, after an amazing weekend away I realized I do have something, I have to work on speaking life about me, even if one person reads this it’s totally worth it.
So for my first post back, I want to share how I have been dealing with anxiety. Since I was a child I would sit in my room and analyze everything that happened that day. Constantly asking myself questions: “Why did I say that?”, and, “Why did they respond to me like that?” I was convinced that everyone hated me. I was reminded of this when I read a post By Holly Riordan, entitled “My Anxiety Convinces Me That Everyone Hates Me” by Holly Riordan Just about everything she said I could relate to.
My anxiety makes me question everything. When someone compliments me, I question if they are being honest. If someone tells me they love me it’s hard for me to believe them. I question everything, it’s hard for me to understand why they would want anything to do with someone like me.
Recently, a friend said to me “I don’t understand how you can be a negative person and a believer?” This stopped me in my tracks, I had no response. I never thought that my anxiety reflected so poorly on my faith. I am still navigating how to reconcile my faith and letting go of my anxiety.
I wanted to share some of the lessons I have learned in dealing with my anxiety. Check out a few coping Strategies. Try these when you’re feeling anxious or stressed.
- Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
- Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
- Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
- Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Check out the fitness tips below.
- Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
- Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
- Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.
- Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
- Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
- Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
- Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.
- Talk to someone. Tell friends and family you’re feeling overwhelmed, and let them know how they can help you. Talk to a physician or therapist for professional help!!!
I am still learning ways to overcome my own insecurities. This year I have been more intentional about managing my emotions. If you have tips to share I would love to hear then leave a comment below!
Like and share this post with someone who can benefit.
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU:
☆ If you have tips to share I would love to hear then leave a comment below!
☆ FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/NaturallyACT
☆ INSTAGRAM | https://instagram.com/naturallyact/